If you would like to travel with a pet such as a cat, dog or ferret, we can provide you with such an option. The place of travel - in the cabin or in the cargo hold - depends on the pet’s weight and size.
For your comfort and that of other passengers, we can only take a limited number of pets in the cabin, so please make a reservation for your pet as soon as possible by telephone through Nordica customer service (+372 664 2200). We advise you to do so within 24 hours after you have booked your ticket, but at least 24 hours before departure. Please contact our customer service consultants.
There are three travel options for animals:
- in the cabin,
- in the baggage hold,
- in the baggage hold as cargo.
If we reach the limit for the number of pets to be carried on a given flight – both in the cabin and as cargo – we reserve the right to refuse carriage of the pet (also includes the carriage of guide dogs and other ESAN pets (emotional support animal).
In order to ensure the comfort and safety of carried animals, we apply the standards of the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
All custom questions will be considered individually.
Organising the journey
You should prepare for travelling with a pet by bearing in mind the following:
- Before booking a flight, familiarise yourself with relevant regulations covering travelling with animals to the country of your destination as well as general rules on the well-being of pets. You can find such information in the embassies of each country.
- Prepare vaccination records (against rabies or distemper) and an up-to-date health certificate from a vet confirming compliance with the regulations of the country of departure, the country of destination and any transit airports.
- In case of flights within the European Union, prepare a special passport with description of colour, race and sex of the pet together with a microchip number or tattoo (issued by a vet).
- Pets must travel in suitable container, the dimensions of which depend on the travel option and aircraft type. Detailed information can be found in dedicated sections.
Below you will find some more tips:
- Get your pet used to its travel bag or kennel a few days before the flight so that it will be easier for it to bear the journey.
- Before the journey, attach a label to the side of the kennel with the name of your pet and instructions about feeding.
- The check-in process for pets may take longer. We recommend that you arrive at the airport 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
- Don’t give any food or water to your pet at least a couple of hours before departure and walk your pet just beforehand.
- Before departure, give your pet small amount of water.
- To ensure the safety of your pet, place the leash and muzzle outside the transporter or in your hand baggage.
- Tranquillising your pet should only be done in consultation with a veterinarian.
Pets in the cabin
During the whole journey, your pet must be transported in the cabin in a special container (travel bag or kennel) appropriate to its weight and size. The total weight of the pet and travel bag or kennel cannot exceed 8 kg.
Remember that your pet must stay in the container during the whole flight, and the container must be placed under the seat in front of you during take-off, landing and in case of turbulence.
Pets in the baggage hold
If you carry a pet as checked baggage, please sure it has comfortable conditions. The container should comply with the requirements of International Air Transport Association (IATA) Live Animals Regulations.
Remember that the pet container has to be:
- large enough in order to allow the animal to move freely and be able to stand, turn and lie down,
- clean, tight and securely closed and the bottom has to be lined with absorbent material on the inside,
- labelled with a relevant sticker and appropriate instructions (concerning the way of handling the animal),
- equipped with a water and feed container,
- ventilated on at least three sides,
- made of fiberglass, metal, rigid plastics, weld metal mesh, solid wood or plywood, without any wheels attached (if they are, please remove them while checking-in),
- NOTE! Containers cannot be made entirely of welded mesh or wire mesh. Such containers are not suitable for air transport.
Please note that if the container is too small or does not comply with above IATA requirements, we reserve the right to refuse to transport the pet at check-in.
Guide dogs and other service dogs
Guide dogs (seeing/hearing, assistance dogs) are accepted free of charge in the passenger cabin when accompanying a passenger with a disability. Weight and size limitation do not apply and the animal need not be caged. The dog should be on a lead, but not wear a muzzle.
Charges for transportation of animals on Nordica flights *
Animals are not included in the free baggage allowance. The level of the charge is based on the size and weight of the pet together with a container (bag or kennel).
Price for one way (VAT excluded)
Total price for one way (VAT included)
Travel box sizes and weight
Small pet in the cabin(PETC)
up to 8 kg
35 € + VAT
(lenght x width x height)
Small and medium pets checked baggage (AVIH)
up to 60 kg
50 € + VAT
(lenght x width x height)
Animals as cargo in the baggage hold
If you carry an animal as cargo in the baggage hold, remember it should have:
- up-to-date vaccination records (against rabies),
- up-to-date veterinary health certificates, (clinical examination, deworming, deticking) taking into account the regulations of the country of departure, the country of destination and any transit airports (issued max. 48 hours before departure)*,
- special passport (issued by a vet) with description of colour, race and sex of the animal together with a microchip number or tattoo,
- microchip implant,
- suitable container.
It is only allowed to carry animals from a minimum age of 3 months and when at least 21 days have passed since the last important vaccination against rabies.
The carriage of animals as cargo in the baggage hold is subject to the same requirements relating to the container as in the case of animals carried in the baggage hold (i.e. as checked baggage).
Charges for carriage of animals as cargo in the baggage hold
We only charge fees for the air carriage of an animal in the baggage hold (carriage fee) and do not provide forwarding services. The ticket price for the animal depends on the size of the container in which the animal will be transported, the weight of the animal along with the container and the route. The carriage of an animal as cargo in the baggage hold is only available as a service directly in our Cargo and Mail Bureau. Irrespective of fees imposed by us, remember that you are obliged to pay additional fees relating to terminal, veterinary, customs and other services that are imposed by entities not related to us (LOT Polish Airlines).
We will do our best to notify you about additional fees that are not directly related to the carriage of an animal at the time of purchase of the cargo carriage service for animals.
Guide dogs and other assistance dogs
Guide dogs (seeing/hearing, assistance dogs) and emotional support dogs are accepted free of charge in the passenger cabin when accompanying a passenger with a disability. Weight and size limitations do not apply and the animal need not be caged. The dog should be on a leash, but not wear a muzzle. However, the person traveling with the guide dog or emotional support dog should have a muzzle with oneself.
For your comfort and that of other passengers, we can only take a limited number of pets in the cabin, so please make a reservation for your pet as soon as possible by telephone. We advise you to do so within 24 hours after you have booked your ticket, but at least 24 hours before departure.